Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Littlest Rabbit

"The Littlest Rabbit"
acrylic on birch panel
4.5 x 6.5 inch oval framed to 8 x 11 inches
2013
$350.00
For "A Picture's Worth A Thousand Words" at Ltd. Art Gallery in Seattle
SOLD

Here's my painting for the literary themed show, "A Picture's Worth A Thousand Words".
I chose one of my favorite childhood books, "The Littlest Rabbit" by Robert Kraus.


It is the story of a little rabbit who gets punched and teased for being so puny by the bigger rabbits.  One day he does grow bigger, and the world becomes a beautiful place for him.  He stands up against the new bullies that try to hurt the new little rabbits by beating them up.

Besides there being cute pictures, I think this is a pretty great kid's book because of it's recommendation of revenge against those who do you wrong.
In the book, however, the rabbit actually prays to grow bigger, so in mine I wanted her to be having a sort of forest altar with black candle, maybe speaking to a darker deity...

I love this book so much that it was actually my first tattoo.  And it's still there on my forearm; reminding me to not take shit from people and stand up for myself and those who need it.

***
The show opens Thursday, November 7th and is an amazing lineup of artists.


No comments: