Monday, July 14, 2014

From Within Us






"From Within Us"
acrylic painted wooden birdhouse
7.5 x 7.25 x 5.5
2014
available HERE


Here's my contribution to Modern Eden's "Home" show; entitled "From Within Us".  The imagery is very personal to me; barn owls depicting aspects of life/death/birth, amongst human skulls and other bones.  One side has a juvenile barn owl, another a baby, and the front is the adult (parents).  

In this world, animals such as these magical owls have outlasted "The Uprights" (humans) who have destroyed each other with their savage wars and the creatures are left to a peaceful existence.

It was a fun challenge painting these wrap-around scenes on a three dimensional object; it was my first time doing so besides a nesting doll set several years ago.  I hope to do more three dimensional objects in the future, and hopefully take it even further to making my creatures three dimensional.....



No comments: