Thursday, May 2, 2013

Springtime Pride



"Springtime Pride"
acrylic on birch panel
5 x 5 inches framed to 7.5 x 7.5 inches
2013
$200.00
(SOLD)


Two albino robins gaze upon their carnation nest of new, blue eggs.
One clutches sprigs of rosemary, the other, bunches of blackberries.

The pink carnation symbolizes maternal love, lively and pure affection, beauty and pride in Floriography, the Victorian language of flowers.  
The rosemary stands for devotion, and the blackberries for dangerous pride.

I wanted there to be a duel way of seeing the painting; the birds are both gazing lovingly at the eggs and fearlessly guarding them against predators.  Poised on either side, they are ready to defend the young ones at all costs.



This piece is headed to Modern Eden's show, "The Language of Flowers", which is a subject near and dear to me. Floriography is something I've been using in my paintings for years now, since I first discovered it.  The show opens 5/11/13 in San Francisco.

Several of my other Floriography-themed paintings from my 2012 solo show, Talisman will also be on display for this show.


Here's the flyer, featuring the amazing work of Redd Walitzki.  
The artist lineup is incredible, sure to be a beautiful show just in time for spring.




No comments: